Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oh Spring...

I love the spring. I love the smell in the air, the slightly crisp mornings, the sound of the birds in the air, and of course the little sprouts from my perennial plants coming to life again after the cold winter.

Yesterday, Kris and I mulched our front and side landscaping for the first time, ever! This was a huge deal to me. It is actually starting to LOOK like a landscape. I planted most of the plants when we first moved here in 2007. Some of them were just bulbs or twigs. Now everything is starting to fill in and actually look like it should. I am anxious to see everything once it really takes off this year! In order to mulch, I had to go through and weed everything completely to the best of my ability. That was a much bigger task than I had expected it to be. I have come to find that I HATE weeding. Especially crab grass, which seems to have roots that are impossible to find.

Today, I moved some seedlings into bigger trays and planted some more seeds. The front room of my house is bursting with green and brown. I'm sure Kris will be glad when our little makeshift greenhouse makes its way outdoors.

I am hoping we'll get the block delivered for our raised beds soon, because I am on spring break this week. We were hoping we'd get to build them then, but without the block we're stuck. However, we're getting the block for free, so I won't complain on the timing. I will just find other gardening projects to do this week. I have more bulbs to plant and monkey grass to thin and move, that should give me enough to do during naptimes.

If you want to see some pictures of my garden projects as they are now, click here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/23879031@N08/sets/72157626258592194
I will try to keep it updated as the season progresses!

Until next time, happy spring!
-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment